No doubt you are familiar with a tupperdor storage container, whether you use it for leftover food, organizing your cupboards or any of the other countless uses, but did you know they can also be used for storing cigars?
While they most definitely lack the style and sophistication of cigar humidors they can function just as well as a humidor. This makes tupperdors a surprisingly good option for storing your cigars and keeping them fresh.
What is a Tupperdor Exactly?
A tupperdor is a plastic container which is also referred to as a tupperware container. An affordable option and way to store your cigars and keep them fresh without having to pay for a humidor. They are also popular for weekend trips away where you want to take your cigars but don’t have a travel humidor either.
They work by keeping an airtight seal and the humidity at the right level for cigars, of course you’ll need to buy a few other accessories to ensure this but nevertheless it is a much more affordable option.
Best Tupperdor Containers Available
IRIS Airtight Food Storage Container
$9.99 in stock
- Translucent bodies - easy to check food levels
- Airtight seals and snap-tight latches
- Dimensions: 16.50"L x 10.80"W x 6.50"H
- BPA-free material. Also fits on top of our 33 Qt pet food container
- Made in the USA
The Iris Airtight Container is a very affordable container with an airtight seal and clips to hold the lid in place. With a translucent body but colored lid you can easily see the cigars stored inside.
Available in 10 pounds, 11 pounds, 25 pounds, 35 pounds and 54 pounds there are many options to accommodate your cigar collection, regardless of the quantity. At a minimum this container could hold 50 cigars.
Made from BPA plastic the 11 pound container measures 16.50″L x 10.80″W x 6.50″H. Made in the USA, the Iris Airtight Container presents great value for money.
Popit Food Storage Containers 16 Piece Set, 100 Leak Proof – Microwave, Freezer and Dishwasher Safe – Little Big Box, by Popit
Popit Food Storage Containers 16 Piece Set, 100 Leak Proof - Microwave, Freezer and Dishwasher Safe - Little Big Box, by Popit
$20.99 in stock
1 used from $ 17.98
- Premium Quality Plastic Containers | Sturdy Design + Airtight Lids | 100% Leak Proof
- Keeps your food fresh longer than generic containers | Save You Money on Food
- Over 1,000,000 Sold Online | Money Back Guaranteed (30 Days)
- Microwave, freezer & dishwasher safe | BPA Free | FDA Approved
- 8 containers sizes: 3oz (.46 cups), 6oz (.84 cups), 9oz (1.14 cups), 15oz (1.9 cups),19oz (2.4 cups), 28oz (3.5 cups) , 37oz (4.6 cups), and 47oz (5.9 cups)
Popit Food Storage is a 16 piece set that includes containers of a variety of sizes. One of the features is that they are spill proof. Although this refers to the contents inside being unable to leak out it also means the seal is watertight- if a cup of water were knocked over near your stored cigars, you know they are safe.
Airtight the lids of the containers snap into place easily. Considering how many containers you get in this set it is really great quality.
Potentially there is the option to store different cigars in different containers, travel with them or if not they are always useful for other things around the home.
The 8 container sizes are 3oz (.46 cups), 6oz (.84 cups), 9oz (1.14 cups), 15oz (1.9 cups),19oz (2.4 cups), 28oz (3.5 cups) , 37oz (4.6 cups), and 47oz (5.9 cups). 3-20 cigar capacity per container.
With glowing Amazon customer reviews the Popit Food Storage set is great value. Offering a 30day money back guarantee they are also BPA free and FDA approved.
Tightvac - 1 oz to 6 ounce Airtight Multi-Use Vacuum Seal Portable Storage Container for Dry Goods, Food, and Herbs - Black Cap & Clear Body
$9.61 in stock
- Holds 6 oz. Coffee, Tea or Trail Mix, 16 oz C & H Sugar , Perfect 1 oz. / 45g of Medical Herbs
- Amazing travel container - fits easily in larger purses and backpacks. Multi-Purpose Storage for wet and dry goods
- Patented system creates a vacuum seal and keeps all dry goods - Fresher for Longer
- NSF - Tested and Certified, FDA Approved - Food Grade - Airtight, Moisture free and recyclable
- Dry Goods Volume = 6 oz. / 150g / 0.57 liter / Dimensions: 5-5/8" tall x 3-3/8" diameter (14.3 cm x 8.6 cm)
The Tightvac Portable Container is a vacuum sealed system that keeps both moisture and oxygen out of the container. Durable and made from PS#6 this container is FDA approved and they can last up to 10 years.
A huge range of color combinations to choose from, I do recommend the clear body to see the cigars but if you wish there are entirely black and white containers if you prefer that style.
The activate the vacuum seal all that is needed is to push the button on the top of the container. Possibly the only issue with the Tightvac Portable Container is the size, although it is a great option for travelling. Cigar capacity of 5 -10 depending on the ring gauge.
LOCK & LOCK Airtight Rectangular Food Storage Container 54.10-oz / 6.76-cup
$11.23 in stock
- PATENTED LOCKING SYSTEM: Lock & Lock containers are guaranteed leak-proof (airtight and watertight) with our patented four-hinge locking system and silicone sealing lid. This assures food to stay fresh longer and keeps contents in containers secure.
- BPA FREE & FDA APPROVED: Made from BPA free material that ensures containers to be safe and eco-friendly. Passed strict hygiene and safety tests of the US FDA and German SGS.
- CONVENIENT TO USE: Can be used in the microwave, freezer and dishwasher (top rack only). Whether it is storing leftovers or packing lunch, Lock & Lock are convenient to use around the kitchen or for any other household needs. Wide variety of unique, stackable designs allows you to save space in your cabinets, refrigerator, and freezer.
- LONG-LASTING: Our containers are made from high quality materials that makes them long-lasting, strong and durable. Cultivate a healthy lifestyle and save space, food and money by investing in some Lock & Lock containers!
- ONLY LOCK & LOCK PRODUCTS "SOLD BY" AMAZON.COM or LOCK & LOCK ARE GUARANTEED GENUINE
The Lock & Lock airtight container is rectangular shaped and uses a patented locking system making it leak-proof with a silicone sealing lid.
Free of BPAs this container is also FDA approved making this safe and eco friendly. This container can also be purchased with a divider if you want to separate the cigars.
Measuring 9.1″ L x 6.5″W x 2.7″H this container can fit roughly 25 to 50 cigars. They are easily stacked upwards and sideways making the Lock & Lock airtight container very convenient to store.
What Else Is Needed for a Tupperdor?
In order to turn the tupperdor into a humidor you will need to purchase a couple of additional accessories, these are cedar, a means of humidification and a hygrometer.
Humidors generally have a Spanish Cedar Wood interior, this is due to the fact that they keep the moisture in check and assist cigars with the ageing process. They are also a great way to enhance the flavor of the cigars. It is possible to purchase sheets of cedar and you can even purchase a tray for organizational benefits too.
As a way of maintaining the exact level of humidity (70%) you will also need to purchase a humidification system. The size of your tupperdor will also affect the amount of solution needed to ensure the humidity remains constant.
I highly recommend ordering multiple packets at a time, they will eventually be used and that way you won’t run the risk of damaging your cigars. Good examples of humidification products are Boveda packs or a Xikar Jar.
Boveda 69% Rh 2-Way Humidity Control, 10 Count
$12.99 in stock
- Available in a variety of RH levels, boveda provides a perfectly stable environment for the storage of tobacco, wooden reeds, food and herbal medicine
- 8 gram Boveda are for small containers and travel humidors, where our larger 60 gram pack will not fit
- The 8 gram Boveda are factory-sealed in a high-barrier reseal able plastic bag
- Boveda monitors ambient humidity and adds/removes moisture to maintain the RH engineered into the pack to an accuracy of +/- 1% with zero activation
The Boveda 69% RH 2 Way Humidity control packets are sealed in a high barrier resealable plastic bag to ensure freshness.
Designed specifically for small containers and travel humidors if you have a large container then the 60gram packet is a better choice. Monitoring the ambient humidity they work to remove moisture and maintain the humidity levels.
I would suggest that 1 packet would be suitable for 50 cigars but again, that depends on the container size. There are a variety of humidity levels offered so depending on your climate you can choose accordingly.
However, as plastic containers offer an airtight seal and do not breath then the humidity will actually be a little higher than the Boveda packet suggests. For example a 62% Boveda would actually be around 65-67% in humidity within the container.
Xikar Crystal Humidifier Jar - 4 oz
$8.99 in stock
- Authentic Xikar Brand Product with Manufacturer's Lifetime Warranty.
- Refill with Xikar Pre-Mixed PG Solution.
- Lasts Up To 90 Days from First Open.
- Steady Humidification of 70%.
- Regulates Up to 150 Cigars.
The Xikar Crystal Humidifier Jar is specifically designed and constructed for humidification of cigars. A trusted brand and a trusted product there are two size options to choose from.
Offer a humidity level of 70% these jars will last up to 90days from the time of opening and are refillable with Xikar Pre-Mixed PG solution.
The 4 ounce container is said to regulate up to 150 cigars so for smaller containers choose the 2 ounce Xikar Crystal Humidifier Jar.
Equally important a hygrometer is needed to ensure the environment is right for the cigars, I highly recommend a digital hygrometer for accuracy. It is a good idea to select a hygrometer that is adhesive and won’t take up much space in the humidor.
Calibrating the hygrometer is the very important first step to ensuring success with its’ use.
Choosing a Tupperdor
Firstly and most importantly is ensuring the seal of the container is airtight so be careful with which container you end up purchasing. There are plenty of cheap models available but in my experience, they don’t seal properly and that is not worth the risk.
This is a personal choice but handles or at least a grip pad allows for ease of carrying and transporting. This is especially important for a large container.
A clear container is preferred for use as a tupperdor, this is mainly so you can view and observe your cigars. Being able to check the humidity and quality of your cigars without having to open up the container is an important feature. The only issue with a clear container is that you need to store them away/out of direct sunlight. It is also recommended to purchase a BPA free plastic container.
There are so many different containers of varying shapes and sizes available so the choice is personal as to which one you decide. Consider the amount of cigars you want to store and if they will be stacked on top of each other or laying flat, whatever is your preference.
Advantages of Tupperdors
Tupperdors are a very inexpensive way to store and preserve your cigars. They are available in a huge variety of sizes and shapes which makes it even easier to accommodate your needs. If you have a huge collection of cigars then there is a tupperdor that can fit them all, same goes if you only have a handful of cigars.
Easy to transport and even easier to maintain, tupperdors can travel with you as long as the temperature remains between 60-70 degrees. Also, as they are airtight there is no need to season them, making them very low maintenance yet very effective.
Disadvantages of Tupperdors
The main disadvantage of tupperdors is the style. Humidors are a mark of ones personal taste and people take pride in their humidors and cigar accessories. Although they don’t require seasoning you do have to open them every 2-3 weeks to air out the cigars for a few minutes and it is also recommended to rotate your cigars monthly.
A tupperdor is a great, cost effective solution to storing cigars and maintaining freshness without purchasing a humidor. With an air tight container, a hygrometer, humidification and cedar that is everything needed to store cigars effectively and efficiently.